It is November so it is time to consider running in the SCHS Smoky Bear Turkey Chase 5K. I ran it last year and can’t wait to do it again. Here are my top 10 reasons why you should consider this 5K race in our own backyard. I’ll use some pictures from last year to illustrate some points.
- It is fun! It is laid back and relaxed as you will ever find a 5K. Show up and run by yourself. You will still have a blast.
2. Proceeds support the SCHS STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) Scholarship.
3. You will meet nice people. There will be families that are both local and visitors for the holiday weekend.
4. Race conditions are very comfortable. If it is like last year, the race is mostly on a flat surface. You will not be far from shelter or a bathroom. That is important to some of us!
5. You can walk or run the 5K. Do it at your own pace.
6. You may find yourself running alongside local dignitaries and celebrities too. At the starting line, I found myself standing by Judge Gary Wade and Coppley Vickers. You will probably see Coach B and Kristi Atchley at the race.
7. You have a decent chance of winning an award. If you are over 40 then you have a very good chance of winning an award. If you are over 50 then you have an outstanding chance of winning an award! Last year, there were 3 awards in every age division. I actually won in my age group!
8. You will probably laugh several times. Student encouragers will use humor to keep you moving.
9. You may get to meet someone famous. Last year, we met a famous Spartan racer.
Jamie McCart ran the race and won in his age group. Train hard, guys! He had an interesting story last year. Click this link to see his story on my blog last year.
10. You can be in and out in an hour and a half. Go home and eat Thanksgiving dinner with little guilt.
Bonus: You will have the best afternoon nap ever.
Want to sign up? You can find them on Facebook. Here is a link. https://www.facebook.com/SCHS-Foundation-5k-1467641556852735/
This is the best little 5K race in Tennessee on Thanksgiving Day. Come run with us!
It is a fun, healthy way to get out and about in Sevierville.